24 December 2017 Christmas Eve
MOST WORDS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARE FROM OTHER EUROPEAN LANGUAGES
If you are French: try these maths!
- 12000 = typical total vocabulary of an English person
- 40% = estimated percentage of words commonly used
- 12000 x 40% = 4800 = number of words for fluency
- 29% = amount of English language, that comes from French
- 12000 x 29% = 3480 English words that you already know
Let’s evaluate more clearly how much English you already know (but do not yet realise it) after Xmas.