La Vie en Rose, Chambre d’Hôte, Charente
Lots of things to do and restaurants to visit
A stay in the Charente usually means taking life at a slower pace.
On our long daily dog walk along the country paths, we might see the local farmer working in the fields. Or sometimes pass a neighbour, who is cutting some timber for his winter firewood. Usually though our only companions are the cattle, deer and the occassional hare.
We visit the local shops and weekly traditional market in Champagne Mouton (only 3 kms) to buy our food and drink. Typical friendly country town, with a cafè, post office, bank, newsagent, baker and supermarket and petrol station. As you can see, our central location in the Charente is handy for the many different things to do and historic places to visit.
You will see some text in red. These are website links, that you can click onto to visit, in order to gain more helpful information
There are some excellent restaurants. It is always best to book ahead, as they are very popular.
Here are the links for two which are a 10 minutes drive from our cottage through the country lanes to the pretty village of Nanteuil-en-Vallée:
Or you may wish to visit the lovely village of Verteuil-sur-Charente, approximately 15 minutes in the car, where you will find this well-liked restaurant
Cycling in the Charente
Cycling in the Charente is one of France’s best kept secrets. The department has an extensive selection of well marked cycling routes, a number of which are situated within easy reach of La Vie en Rose:
- La Voie Verte that runs from Ruffec to Confolens (where you can pick up the Euro Velo)
- Tour de Charente route; a 390km circuit that takes you around the department linking many of the area’s key tourist attractions.
- La Vie en Rose would also be a good place to stay for the Flandres Charentaises Classic, an annual club ride that takes place in September and makes use of the local hills to offer four circuits of 26km, 58km, 81km and 114km.
Here is an independant cycling and B&B review about our chambre d’hôte that was published by Jacqui Brown, who cycled in the Charente and arrived at La Vie en Rose B&B after a lovely day in the saddle. Here she shares her thoughts on the warm welcome she received.
” La Vie en Rose is a B&B in a traditional stone cottage situated in the north of the Charente department, that offers a warm welcome to cyclists and has easy access to a number of well-signed cycle routes.
Five things we loved about La Vie en Rose
1. A warm welcome. From the moment we arrived and rang their bell, Sue and Gordon welcomed us inside and told us to make ourselves at home. Their home is a beautiful cottage with one of the prettiest bedrooms I’ve ever slept in and it wasn’t difficult to feel like we were at home……..
2. Flexibility. Sue and Gordon are happy to accept bookings of just one night as well as longer stays. They provide a lockable storage area for the bicycles and there is a separate utility room for washing cycle clothing (with shower for really mucky cyclists if necessary)……..
3. The peace and quiet. The cottage is situated in a quiet hamlet just outside the town of Champagne Mouton and, having cycled 50kms during the afternoon, we were tired (in a good way), and already feeling quite relaxed, thanks to the fresh air. To then find ourselves sitting in Sue and Gordon’s sheltered garden with a cold drink, watching their chickens and listening to nothing but birdsong and the trees rustling in the breeze, our one night stay began to feel like a real holiday…..
4. Cycling in the Charente. We have quite a bit of experience of cycling in the Charente and think it is one of France’s best kept secrets. The department is very pro-cycling and has an extensive selection of well marked cycling routes, a number of which are situated within easy reach of La Vie en Rose…….
5. Other activities. Sue and Gordon can recommend a number of attractions within an easy reach of La Vie en Rose, including canoeing on the Charente River or swimming and vélo-railing in Confolons. For those looking for a more relaxed break, there are plenty of picturesque villages with cafés and restaurants like Nanteuil-en-Vallée and Verteuil-sur-Charente just waiting to be discovered.
La Vie en Rose is a beautiful family house that would be an ideal stop for those touring by bike, as well as a perfect fixed base for exploring the north Charente area. We felt we arrived as strangers and left as friends, even after only one night. It would have been lovely to have been able to stay a little longer. “
Festival de Confolens
For 60 years, the streets and open spaces of the picturesque town of Confolens have been filled with world music and dance each August. The town will be bursting with dance troupes, song and music from across the globe. The 2019 Festival will run from 12 August to 18 August.
Classic cars and motorbikes can be seen gracing our roadways in the Charente. There are two concours events in the region that offer a very special and memorable day-out.
The Circuit Val de Vienne track is an exciting experience, acclaimed by the Fédération Française Sportive Automobile, this 3757 metre long race track is one of the best in the country.
A highlight in any car enthusiast’s diary is the annual ‘Circuit des Remparts’, held in September in Angouleme.
Séjour Linguistique Anglais
The following activities are favourites of. our guests, who holiday with us to improve their English Language skills:
A journey of challenge and adventure with Ruffec Canoe Kayak
Archery is one of my hobbies. You are welcome to borrow one of my bows and use the target in the field at the back of our cottage.
Adrenhaline highs at the Accro Parc de Soyaux
Meet your ancestors at The Monkees and Apes Zoo at Romagne
The thrill of go-kart racing with Passion Karting Rochefoucauld
Marvel at the sights, smells and sounds of the Medieval Festivals
Water fun on the diving boards and slides at The Tulette Swimming Pool Complex at Confolens
Or if you prefer swimming, take a dip in the Lac de Lavaud in Verneuil
See what is on offer in the local Tourist Board at Ruffec regarding other activities and places of interest available to you. We
Those choices of things to do and places to visit are just a small taste of the many activities on offer to you. Please let us know in advance of your stay if you would like help; whether it be you wish us to make an enquiry for you, or you may want us to book an activity on your behalf.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Susan and Gordon